- Municipal Court
- Community Service Program
Community Service Program
The Community Service Program is designed to help people who are unable to pay their fines. Any defendant that owes money to the Municipal Court has the opportunity to work off their fines through community service if the defendant is physically able to perform manual labor.
Community Service Sites & Fine Credits
Community service hours may only be completed at pre-approved work sites. Credit for hours worked will only apply to the fine portion of the penalty assessed. The fee portion must be paid. Fines will be credited through community service at $15 per hour of worked performed. It is the defendant's responsibility to log their hours, have them signed off by the work site supervisor, and turn the signed community service log into the Municipal Court on or before the completion date.
Community Service Agreement
Before the defendant is allowed to perform community service, he/she will be required to sign a Community Service Agreement. This agreement contains the following rules and regulations in addition to those required by Section 31-20-6(D), New Mexico Statutes Annotated (1978):
- The Defendant must return completed hours to the Municipal Court in order to receive credit for community service.
- Community Service must be completed by the end date. Only Municipal Court can grant an extension.
- No Benefits: You are not considered an employee of the City of Alamogordo, the Municipal Court, or the agency to which you are assigned or their respective employee and agents. You shall not be entitled to wages, worker's compensation, unemployment benefits, or any other benefits otherwise provided by the law.
- Proper safety equipment must be supplied by the employer in order for you to complete your tasks safely. If proper safety equipment is not supplied, contact Municipal Court immediately.
- Release of Liability: By signing the form, you acknowledge that the City of Alamogordo, its Municipal Court, or any agency to which you are assigned, and their respective employees and agents will not be held liable and release them from any liability for any injuries that you may sustain while doing your community service.
- If you have any questions concerning your community service obligation, contact the Municipal Court Office at 575-439-4225 ext. 3.
You will be expected to work the hours and days assigned. You will be asked to leave the job site immediately if job performance, attitude or unsatisfactory performance occurs. Failure to report for work, failure to report on time or failure to accept direction will result in noncompliance and referred back to the Municipal Court for a separate violation for Failure to Comply (11-05-250(a)(3)) punishable by up to a $500 fine and 90 days in jail.