What should I do if my water is discolored?

If you experience discolored water, contact our Water Treatment Division Office at (575) 437-5991 during normal business hours or (575) 439-4300 outside of normal business hours. Provide us with as much information as possible, including time and date the problem started, location, and your best description of the problem.

The City of Alamogordo Water system has been in operation for more than 100 years, and some of the water mains are made of cast iron.  Whenever the water velocity or flow direction changes from normal, iron sediment from these old mains is picked up by the water and shows up as discoloration.  Incidents that can cause this include:

Fire hydrant testing – causes a temporary increase in water velocity as fire crews check hydrant operation.

Water main breaks – cause a temporary increase in flow velocity and in some cases also cause a reversal in the normal flow direction of the water.

In these situations, the water is safe to drink.  However, use care as the iron can stain laundry and plumbing fixtures.

Show All Answers

1. Where do I go for information on water quality?
2. Who do I call regarding bad taste, color odor or low water pressure?
3. What is the typical water hardness (on scale) for water in my area? The City of Alamogordo’s tap water is considered to be “very hard,” because of the minerals such as calcium in the rock f
4. My water looks cloudy. Who should I call for help?
5. What should I do if my water is discolored?
6. Do I need to filter the water coming into my house?