Virtual Activity Center
Welcome to the Alamogordo Family Recreation Center’s Virtual Activity & Resource Center! This is a great place to find educational and fun things to do during your time stuck at home! We will provide various resources to promote wellness, learning, and entertainment for our youth and families. Follow the City of Alamogordo on Facebook for updates and new ideas.
Please note that we do not endorse, collect payment on behalf of or receive funds to advertise any of the third-party websites or services listed or referenced on this page.
Click on any of the links below to find activities that promote health and staying active!
Connect with Games & Movement
We know it’s difficult to get your brain and body moving in these cooped up times. This section should help alleviate any mental or physical blues!
Looking for something to get you moving while we wait to go back to school?
Try these activities!
Ideas handpicked by staff:
- Grab it! and Guard the Cookie Jar easy games to getting you moving.
- Inside Outdoor Field Hockey Turn your backyard into your very own Disney’s Inside Out playground.
- Make a Giant Jenga Game! Get the entire family involved by making and playing with this DIY giant soft Jenga game.
- Twist n Shout! Speaking of DIY lawn games, try this at home Summer Twister, perfect for the lawn.
- When all else fails: fill up some water balloons! Beat the heat with a water balloon hunt, fun for the entire family!
- Day of Play
- Indoor games for kids & families
Staff suggested game:
What You Need: A ball, such as a soccer ball or other light-weight ball, open space such as a backyard, cones or other markers.
What You Do:
- Divide the players into two equal teams.
- Ask players to take their positions for the kickoff. Players should sit on the ground with their hands and feet flat on the ground. Move by pushing off the ground and scurrying about, face-up, on all fours.
- For the kickoff, drop the ball between two players, one from each team. Players then "crab crawl" back and forth trying to kick the ball into the goal. When a goal is scored, return the ball to the center of the playing area and begin play again. Encourage the play to play for a previously agreed upon a time: 15 minutes or so works well.
- The team with the most points wins!
Stimulate your mind:
Here are a few free resources to help stimulate your mind while at home. Try out a few of these games and let us know what you think of them. Acquired from Wizards of the Coast atas a free resource for anyone needing a game to play while staying home.
Connect with Nature
The days are longer and the sun is warm – summer is coming! Embrace the world around you with these fun nature-themed activities!
Camping Adventures recommended by staff:
- Plan an at home Camping Experience with your family. Details here
- Children books about camping! Details here
- Children books about National Parks! Details here
- Camp Themed Kids Crafts! Details here
Links to other ways to connect with nature
- Start a Virtual Garden! Join Molly and Trini in Alaska as they start a summer veggie garden in Veggiezilla!
- diy Solar Oven
- Upcycled Plastic Bottles Planters
- Butterfly Feeder for Garden
DIY Bird House/feeder
- Clean and empty soda and or milk cartoon
- Glue and/or tape
- 10” Stick or twig
- Decor for feeders: Paint, markers, stickers, and/or construction paper
- For the final project: birdseed
Staff was inspired by this video!
Connect with Artistic Expression
When we can’t find the words – – art it out! Get creative and be heard!
- Art in Action Find a collection of mini art lesson for all ages on the comprehensive site
- PBS Kids Craft
- Penny Paper Spinners
- Watermelon Paper Fan
- Paint with Ice
- Perspective Drawing
- Basic Color-Theory
- Artful Parent
- Glow-in-Dark Jellyfish
Connect with the Senses
These demanding times call for getting in touch with our human roots through sight, sound, taste, smell, and feel!
We’d like to share with you Ice and Rice!
"Rice and Ice Sensory Activity is a fun activity that provides an opportunity to play with rhyming words,
explore scientific concepts and learn about primary colour mixing with all the benefits of sensory play."
Connect with Community
Check out what local organizations are doing these days!
- Alamogordo Senior Center
- Alamogordo Public Library
- AFRC Swimming Pool
- Home Pool Safety
- Desert Lakes Golf
Family Virtual Field Trip
You don’t need to leave your house to take a quick family trip around the world. Here are a few fun places to check out with the family from the comfort of your home!